Tuesday, November 24, 2015

A Great Learning Week

     Good morning!  I think winter has finally hit the UK!  We wear our winter coats, gloves, scarves and boots everywhere.  The English people look at us and wonder why we are so cold!  The sun comes up around 7:30 and goes down at 4:00, and it isn't even the shortest day of the year yet!  But these stalwarts still continue to ride their bikes.  I am so very impressed.
     It has been a week of learning all aspects of missionary work!  Most of our appointments fell through this week.  Brad said, welcome to missionary work!  We spent most of the day on Tuesday with one of our Elders in the E & A (that's British for emergency room)  They were playing basketball at the church with an investigator.  The basketball hoop is one of those mobile ones that is supposed to be weighted down with sand or water.  It sits on the stage so they can have a 10 foot hoop.  Well, when they were finished, Elder Botta pushed the bottom of the stand back away the edge of the stage and because it was not weighted down, it fell.  The ring hit him on the head, cutting his head open and the glass hit him on the head, neck and upper back.  It knocked him out.  We met them at the hospital and waited a couple of hours before seeing a doctor.  Brad and Elder Kendell gave him a blessing and promised full recovery.  The investigator was at the hospital as well.  I think he was pretty shaken up, but I think he also saw and felt something quite extraordinary about the priesthood.  But I learned that even in challenging situations, the Lord puts opportunities in our way.  I happened to sit next to a very nice man, a Muslim named Mohammed.  He asked about my name tag and for the next hour, I was able to give him the discussion on the Restoration, and also about the role of Jesus Christ and explain to him what "gospel" meant and what and why the purpose of baptism.  He told me of the Quran and we became very good friends.  Brad went to the car to bring me a Book of Mormon and he took it.  Amazingly enough, when we were just finishing our conversation, he was called back to see the doctor.  I don't know if anything will ever come of it as he was a Muslim, but I felt the Lord put him in our way.  It's amazing how the spirit can be felt in a waiting room of the hospital.  After he left, there was a man sitting a few chairs down, so I slid down and struck up a conversation with him.  I think I could detect a look of relief on his face when his name was called to go in to see the doctor!  Well, we can't convert them all!!!!  Well, end of story.  They put Elder Botta on a back board and strapped him in to take x-rays and a CT scan.  They found no breaks which relieved us all.  They glued up his head, gave him some pain meds and sent us home.  He also chipped his front tooth which was probably the most painful thing.  He was able to get into a dentist the next morning.  It will take about a month to get his dental work done.  But despite the fact that he is sore, he will be just fine.  As senior missionaries, we do a lot of work with the young elders and sisters.  They are like our children!  We love them and have gotten so close to them.  Transfers are hard for us, because they often take our missionaries, but then we get to love new ones!!!
     We have met with some of our YSA's this week for lunch and we love the one on one time with them.  One of the YSA's is now in the MTC in Provo, so Heather was able to send him a care package!  Goodness, how small the world gets in the church!!!
     We got to go to the London Temple this week.  As always we were inspired and motivated to work hard.
     We were able to attend a Europe Area Ward Council meeting with Elder Ballard and the Area Authorities.  It was by video link from Germany.  Elder Ballard told the Bishops to work your missionaries.  He said, I've never heard of a missionary dying from overwork yet!  I wanted to cheer.  We love it when the Bishop gives us people to visit and work with.
     Well, however, I was tired after Sunday though.  I was asked to speak in Sacrament Meeting, Brad and I teach the Temple Prep class in Sunday School and I was asked to teach Relief Society!  I think the ward was sick of me after the block meetings.
     We are looking forward to Thanksgiving this week!!! My favorite holiday.  We will probably have a housefull, so I hope a 10 pound turkey will feed the 5000! (That's an x-large turkey too!)
     The answer to my riddle--we went to boots for a jab--is we went to the pharmacy (Boots is the name of the pharmacy-looks like a Walgreens) for a flu shot!  If you got it right, maybe you will get a million dollar check in the mail!  Or maybe not!
     We love you all.  We got a package in the mail this week from all of our children--a Christmas package.  Dad opened it and I went through it all.  Thank you so much.  I have never been so touched by a gift in my whole life.  We got a garland with all our babies pictures on a separate ornament, even the womb-babies!  There were bells, hot chocolate, bingo cards, our favorited cold cereal boxes, and hand printed Christmas stockings--so many of our Christmas traditions from home--and especially notes from each of our children's families.  We can't thank you enough for your love and support.  We feel your prayers every day.  We love what we are doing and we love the people we are serving and those we are serving with.  We love our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.  We know They live and care for each of us!  Our testimonies of the Restored Gospel grow stronger every day!
     Have a great week,
With all our love,
Dad and Mom, Grandpa and Grandma, Elder and Sister Jackman

P.S.  I forgot to tell you that we met some people at church who are from South End, an area in England where Dad served as a missionary 42 years ago.  Dad asked them if they knew the Ebbs family, a family he had baptized when he was here.  They knew them well.  They were very good people, still members, but not currently active in the church.  They also knew the Duprees, another husband and wife Dad had baptized.  They had both passed away, but were very active and
committed members of the church when they died.  Your dad was very emotionally touched as he often wondered about these people and wondered if he had had any success on his mission.  We are hoping to be able to go see the Ebbs, as they are still in our mission!
We also got hold of Gillian Taylor.  We are going to see her next week, but she told us not to bring a Book of Mormon as she already has several copies.  I asked her if she had read it.  "Some of it" she said. " How did you feel", I asked. " I am happy with my Church of England" she replied!!!!  So I'll take her a Conference Report instead!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment